Bylaws of the Second Congressional District Committee of the Republican Party of Virginia
Download Bylaws (PDF)
ARTICLE I – Name
The name of this organization shall be “The Second District Committee of the Republican Party of Virginia,” hereinafter called the “District Committee.”
ARTICLE II – Organization
The District Committee is organized under and governed by the “Plan of Organization of the Republican Party of Virginia.” No action of the District Committee shall conflict with State Party Plan, as amended from time to time. To the extent that there shall be a conflict, the provisions of the State Party Plan shall prevail.
ARTICLE III – Objectives
The purpose of the District Committee is to promote the principals of the Republican Party, to encourage qualified candidates to run for public office, to elect Republican candidates to public office, and to assist elected Republican officials in the execution of their responsibilities.
ARTICLE IV – Membership and Voting Rights
All qualified voters of the Second Congressional District, who, under the laws of the State of Virginia, are in accord with the principals of the Republican Party and who express in open meeting, if requested, their intent to support of all of its nominees for public office in the ensuing election, are eligible for membership on the District Committee.
Members of the District Committee must reside within Virginia’s Second Congressional District throughout their term on the Committee. No person shall hold more than one voting seat on the District Committee. Voting membership on the District Committee is restricted to the following:
1. District Chairman;
2. Chairman of each Unit located wholly or in part within the District or his designee when the Unit Chairman does not reside in the District. If a Unit Chairman resides in the District and is elected to any office having a vote on the District Committee, the Unit Committee may elect a Unit Representative. This elected representative will only be removed or replaced by a majority vote of the Unit Committee by the Quadrennial District Convention;
3. Members of the State Central Committee elected by the Quadrennial District Convention;
4. Members of the State Central Committee elected by the District Committee by virtue of the District having cast its plurality vote for the Republican Presidential nominee in the preceding Presidential election and/or the District being represented by a Republican Member of Congress.
5. District Representative of the Virginia Federation of Republican Women;
6. District Representative of the Young Republican Federation of Virginia; and
7. District Representative from the College republican Federation of Virginia;
8. Elected Officers – The District Committee may, by a majority vote, make Elected Officers voting members of the Committee for the duration of their term in office.
ARTICLE V – Officers
Section A. Officers Subject to Confirmation
The District Committee officers shall be elected by the District Committee every two years and serve at the pleasure of the District Chairman. District officers may include:
1. District First Vice-Chairman – Operations;
2. District Second Vice0Chairman – Planning and Activities;
3. District Third Vice-Chairman;
4. Secretary; and
Section B. Other Officers and Committees
The District Chairman shall appoint Legal Counsel and a Parliamentarian, and shall fill all such other offices of committees and the District Committee may create. The officers appointed under the Section shall serve exclusively at the pleasure of the District Chairman.
ARTICLE VI – Duties of Members and Officers
Section A. District Committee
1. The District Committee shall determine whether candidates for the District Public Office shall be nominated by Convention or Primary.
2. It shall call all regular and special District Conventions and be responsible for all arrangements including the basis of representation, the time and the place.
3. It shall have general supervision over all District Campaigns and shall cooperate with the Republican State Central Committee in the conducting of statewide campaigns.
4. It shall assist in raising funds within the District for National and State causes and otherwise assists the Republican State Central Committee in other Party endeavors wherever practical.
5. Whenever the District Committee shall determine that a Unit Committee, or its Chairman, has failed to function as such, the District Committee shall appoint a new Committee, or a new Chairman, as the case may be. A Committee thus created shall perform their duties provided in the Republican State Party Plan until their successors are elected at a Mass Meeting or Convention called for that purpose.
Section B. District Chairman
1. The District Chairman shall be responsible for the general execution and implementation of the programs and policies of the District Committee, commensurate with achieving the goals of the Republican State Party Plan. In addition, the District Chairman shall:
2. Call meetings and conventions in accordance with the Republican State Party Plan and preside over the same until a temporary organization is effected;
3. Represent the District Committee on the State Central Committee and the Executive Committee of the Republican Party of Virginia;
4. Convene the District Committee as required under Article VIII, Section A;
5. Appoint two qualified persons to make an annual audit of the books and financial records of the Committee and the end of each fiscal year or whenever there is a change in the person holding the office of Treasurer, which persons shall report to the District Committee; and
6. Carry out such duties as set for the in the Republican State Party Plan.
Section C. District First Vice Chairman – Operations
The District First Vice Chairman – Operations shall assume the duties of District Chairman in his absence. The First Vice Chairman shall perform other duties as instructed by the District Chairman.
Section D. District Second Vice Chairman – Planning and Activities
The District Second Vice Chairman – Planning and Activities shall be in charge of programs and special projects as assigned by the District Chairman.
Section E. District Third Vice Chairman
The District Third vice Chairman shall perform duties as instructed by the District Chairman.
Section F. Secretary
The Secretary shall keep the Minutes and other official records of the Committee, shall keep attendance records, shall keep a list of Committee members, shall advise, upon direction of the District Chairman, Committee members when they have missed two consecutive meetings and/or conventions, and shall assist the Chairman with official correspondence and the filing of documents. The Secretary shall prepare and maintain an official list of the Committee members.
Section G. Treasurer
The Treasurer shall receive and disburse all funds, shall submit a written report of financial transactions and conditions at each District Committee meeting, shall file all required financial reports, and shall issue notices of assessments to all units. The Treasurer shall submit a complete record of all financial transactions to the District Chairperson for the purpose of an audit of the report of the Treasurer. (Art. 6, Sec. A, Item (4)).
The Treasurer shall be authorized to disburse funds under the following conditions:
1. In accordance with an annual budget approved by the District Committee at a regularly called meeting (if the District Committee decided to have a budget), provided adequate funds are on hand to meet any priority obligations as established by such a budget;
2. By authority of the District Committee at a duly called meeting, provided a source of funds to meet other obligations is clearly identified;
3. Upon the authority of the District Chairman, the Treasurer shall also have the authority to make expenditures of up to a total of $100.00
The Treasurer and the District Chairman are empowered to open a bank account in the name of the Second District Congressional Committee of the Republican Party of Virginia and make deposits and withdrawals from such account. The Treasurer shall keep proper records, which are to be open to inspection by any member of the District Committee at all reasonable times, and upon reasonable notice. The Treasurer shall deliver all official records in his possession to his successor within ten days of the expiration of his term.
ARTICLE VII – Vacancies
1. A vacancy in the office of District Chairman shall be filled by the District Committee for the remaining un-expired term.
2. The District Committee shall fill vacancies in the offices of Vice Chairman, Secretary, and Treasurer of the Committee.
3. The District Committee shall fill the unexpired terms of the State Central Committee Members, whose seats have been vacated.
4. Vacancies shall be filled after notice of such intent has been included in the call of the meeting.
ARTICLE VIII – Standing and Special Committees
All standing and Special Committees shall be established and appointed by the District Chairman. The District Committee may instruct the District Chairman to appoint such committees.
ARTICLE IX – Meetings
Section A. Frequency
The District Committee shall meet at least once each quarter year. Additional meetings as may be required shall be called by the District Chairman or upon petition to the District Chairman by one-third of the members of the District Committee.
Section B. Notice
Meetings of the District Committee shall be held upon seven days written or electronic notice with agenda enclosed, to the membership as recorded on the official membership list prepared and maintained by the Secretary.
Section C. Attendance
A member of the District Committee automatically loses his committee position if he is absent three (3) consecutive meetings without representation by a person holding a proxy. A State Central Committee member and/or Unit Chairman loses, and is deemed to have resigned, his District Committee position if he fails to attend in person at least fifty (50) percent of the regular meetings in a calendar year. A vacancy created by such a resignation shall be filled in accordance with the Republican Party State Party Plan.
Section D. Quorum and Proxy
1. A majority of the voting members of the District Committee shall constitute a quorum for the transaction of business. A member of the District Committee may be represented at any District Committee meeting by a proxy, subject to the following conditions:
2. No individual may cast more than one vote at each meeting, which he attends.
3. Any person who acts as a proxy for another must be a voting resident of the Second Congressional District of Virginia.
4. Any Proxy may be withdrawn by the Committee member giving it at any time prior to its exercise.
5. All proxies shall be in writing and signed by the maker.
ARTICLE X – Parliamentary Authority and Procedures
The Republican State Party Plan, the District Committee Bylaws, and then Roberts Rules of Order, current edition, shall govern all proceedings of all Committees as well as Conventions and Mass Meetings conducted by the District Committee.
ARTICLE XI – Amendment and Effective Date
Section A. Adoption of Bylaws
These Bylaws shall become effective immediately upon their adoption by a two-thirds vote of the voting members of the District Committee.
Section B. Amendments
These Bylaws may be amended by a two-thirds vote of the voting members of the District Committee present and voting at any meeting, provided notice of the proposed amendment is included in the call to the meeting. Amendments shall become effective immediately upon their adoption.
Section C. Suspension of the Bylaws
These bylaws may be suspended only upon a two-thirds vote of the voting members of the District Committee. Such a suspension continues only for the duration of the meeting at which the suspension was approved.